Monday, September 08, 2008

Dave Zeltserman

I'm way behind in mentioning that writer Dave Zeltserman has posted his collection of store free gratis at http://www.davezeltserman.com/index.html I've now read all of them and I'll tell you he's as impressive as shorter lengths as he is with novels. There's already talk that Small Crimes should get an Edgar nomination. Right now I'd say it's in the top three or four 2008 novels I've read so far. Maybe higher.

From Dave: 
In anticipation of the US release of my first Serpent's Tail novel, Small Crimes, I'm making available free a new anthology of my crime fiction. Seven contains stories that originally appeared  in Alfred Hitchcock, Ellery Queen, Hot Blood, Bullet and Futures, as well as the never before published sequel to Money Run.  Click to download Seven.pdf.
Stories appearing in Seven:
Closing Time originally appeared in Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine. The concept for this one: a guy spending a night buying drinks in a Dublin Bar. Anyone who thinks Alfred Hitchcock doesn’t publish dark nasty crime fiction needs to think again!
Dave Stevens, I presume? originally appeared in Alfred Hitchcock as a hardboiled story with an interesting metaphysical twist. I'm including my original more horrific ending, which changes the nature of the story entirely!
Forever and Ever originally appeared in Hot Blood #12, Strange Bedfellows. Written initially as a pure noir story, I went back and forth with the editors of Hot Blood several times until I snuck in enough explicit sex to satisfy them.
View From The Mirador was published in Futures and inspired by a trip to Acapulco. While the tone of the story has kind of an old-fashioned cheery quality to it, this is one of the sickest stories I’ve written.
Nine-Ball Lessons was originally published in Bullet #7. This one’s short and sweet about two hoods philosophizing over life-lessons that can be learned from a game of nine-ball.
Money Run originally appeared in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. Money Run is a fun, light con man story and  gives a slight tip of the cap to Jim Thompson’s great Mitch Allison stories. It also pulls off not a double— or triple cross, but a quadruple cross
Man Friday is my sequel to Money Run, and starts with Toni having flown the coop with the all the ill-gotten gains from Money Run, while our hero, Pete Mitchel, finds himself down and out in Miami. This is the first ever publication of Man Friday.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: