Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Mystery Scene & Drood Review; Hugh Abramson

Hi Ed
Mystery Scene has just agreed to take over the subscriber list of The Drood Review.
Jim Huang published and edited The Drood Review since its founding in 1982.
I think that made Drood the oldest mystery publication still in business.

As part of the deal Jim Huang and his wife, Jennie Jacobson, are
coming onboard as contributing editors with the next issue. I'm
hoping that they'll eventually do some writing and editing for us
when they have time.

Kate Stine
---------------
Ed.
Just a note to let you know that I appreciate your taste in authors.
As you're aware, Maggie Millar was a dear friend. I published a number
of Armstrong novels, and my favorite as is yours is the wonderfully
Hitchcockian Mischief. I think the first half of A Dram of Poison is
classic; it just deteriorates into sweetness and light in the second
half. Armstrong always was concerned about the sanctity of families
which probably accounts for the happy endings which take the edge off
the books. Maggie seldom if ever had happy endings in print and
possibly in life.

Maggie once suggested that I reprint her The Cannibal Heart as a
mystery. Originally it was published as mainstream. After I read it,
I told her it reminded me of Charlotte Armstrong which she took as a
compliment. (And I did reprint it.)

Once upon a time at an ABA I had a discussion with the lady who writes
as Elizabeth Peter who maintained -- probably still does -- that
Armstrong wrote romantic suspense. Frankly, I find very little romance
in Armstrong's novels and have always felt they deserve a male
audience.

Of course, I appreciate your mentions of Carr/Dickinson, my favorite of
the Golden Age writers.

Hope all is well.

Best, Hugh Abramson

No comments: